The International Parenting and Health Institute (IHPI) and formerly The International Maternity and Parenting Institute (IMPI) is pleased to announce the expansion of our Maternity and Child Sleep Consultant Certification program.
At IPHI, our approach is holistic and based on our founder Mar De Carlo’s Holistic Science of Sleep Method and book “Awakening Through Sleep”
The Holistic Science of Sleep Method combines Holistic Thinking and Application with the Scientific Method to provide long term and balanced solutions to adult and child sleep challenges.
The HSS Method supports sleep as a natural function of the human body that does not need to be taught or trained. Rather, it’s a matter of addressing the things that are interfering with the body’s natural rhythms, homeostasis and inviting a lifestyle for the whole family that supports sleep.
Mar says, “Our children’s bodies do not need to technically be “trained” to sleep. By nature’s design, human bodies are already programmed to sleep and will do so if we support the process.
Children go through various stages of sleep development similarly to walking, eating, talking etc…and most often there are many health and lifestyle factors, in addition to unrealistic expectations parents are unaware of getting in the way sleep.”
The HSS Method does not believe in a “one size fits all” or “sleep training” approach to sleep consulting. Instead we use what our founder Mar has coined as “Sleep Optimizing” strategies to thoroughly investigate and address imbalances in optimal human function (physical, mental, emotional) and external forces (social, cultural, environmental) that inhibit sleep and may lead to adult and child sleep challenges during pregnancy, parenting during infancy and beyond.
By examining the entire context for sleep – the physical, emotional, social, developmental and environmental factors – we address the sleep needs for the family with a minimum of frustration for both parents and children and teach our sleep consultants not only to understand the natural factors that regulate and influence sleep through a child’s various stages of development but also learning from the child. Often parents and professionals rely so heavily and get hyper focused on books and rigid methods that they overlook what their child is teaching them about sleep. The child is also a book that is providing us information we must consistently learn from. Children teach and guide us just as much as we do them. We just have to tune in.
What Makes Our Holistic Approach to Sleep Consulting Unique?
Healthy Sleep Begins During Pregnancy
Planning, preparation, and education are essential to supporting a family’s sleep needs and goals. A child sleep consultant can play a viable and empowering role when working with families before the baby is born. At IPHI, we take preventive measures to address sleep challenges early on during pregnancy rather than waiting for extremely sleep deprived and exhausted families to seek the aid of a sleep consultant postpartum at four months, six months, or later.
Through our “Holistic Science of Sleep Method™” based on our founder, Mar De Carlo Oscategui’s book, “Awakening Through Sleep” you will:
- Learn how to solve sleep challenges through “sleep optimizing” strategies that do not involve the use of sleep training.
- Learn and understand how to uncover the root of each sleep challenge that inhibits the body’s natural ability to sleep.
- Understand a diversity of parenting philosophies, consider what underlies children’s behaviors temperaments in the context of sleep to discover the root of the sleep challenge, respond to a range of family sleep goals, and identify and discuss factors that may impact healthy sleep habits.
- Learn how to work with pregnancy sleep in order to support mom and baby’s sleep and take preventative measures to prepare for child sleep.
- Learn how to work with and support families from infancy to toddler.
- You will be trained to address key issues through thorough investigative work, discovering the root that may be contributing to sleep disruption rather than jumping too quickly to implement a specific behavioral approach.
- Understand the scientific and natural foundations of sleep, how it works and our holistic context for sleep when working with families.
- Understand the interplay between the science of sleep, the behavior of sleep, lifestyle, beliefs and the emotional well-being component of sleep.
- Understand and Learn how nutrition affects sleep.
- Understand and Learn how parent’s lifestyle, energy, expectations and behavior affects sleep.
- Learn how birth trauma and secure attachment affects sleep.
- Learn how an eco-lifestyle affects sleep.
- Learn about the many controversies, misconceptions and unrealistic expectations for child sleep.
- Learn how to work with a range of simple and complex sleep challenges and cases.
- Use practical applications to strengthen your skills before graduating.
- Focus significant attention on understanding the role of a Maternity & Child Sleep Consultant, including counseling families and assessing their readiness for change, the breastfeeding relationship, the role of sleep in pregnancy, the role of relationships, self-care, safety, neuroscience, social and cultural factors that affect sleep, and the importance of mental, physical, spiritual and emotional well-being in sleep consulting practices.
Graduates from the IPHI Maternity & Child Sleep Consultant Certification program are trained:
- Holistic Science of Sleep Method™
- With an integrative holistic and healthy approach to sleep using healthy sleep foundations.
- To be a part of the first child sleep consulting organization to pioneer and include pregnancy sleep, sleep optimization, holistic science of sleep method, psychology, impact of birth trauma and secure attachment on sleep, emotional well-being, holistic nutrition, green awareness, breastfeeding and maternity and newborn sleep into child sleep consulting.
- Our program provides you the resources and tools to understand the various methodologies and when to apply them, if and when it may be necessary.
- In the science of sleep for adults, infant and children.
- In family dynamics, temperaments, sleep environments, sleep/wake-time windows, sleep associations/crutches, and developmental milestones.
- To offer an objective approach with families in order to develop healthy sleep habits that are age and developmentally appropriate for their clients’ needs, lifestyle, and values.
- To support, educate and prepare families during pregnancy about newborn and child sleep.
- To educate and raise awareness about health, fitness and nutrition for mother (pre/postnatal) in relation to sleep.
- To support parents postpartum with their sleep issues during their time of transition.
- With an understanding of sleep challenges and solutions, lactation, special needs, overnight work, and nutrition.
- With an in-depth look at sleep products and safety.
- With an in-depth look at green and eco-friendly sleep practices.
- With a comprehension of a Sleep Consultant’s scope of practice, boundaries to practice, and when to refer out.
- To be aware of issues that involve medical attention, such as abuse, trauma and postpartum depression, in order to provide the client the proper guidance and referral.
The IPHI Maternity & Sleep Consultant Certification Curriculum also includes:
- Continuing education.
- A basic guide on how to start or manage your Sleep Consultant Business with an optional add on extended course if needed.
- Support for sleep consultants that want to work overnight shifts and/or hourly consultations.
- A specialized sleep mentoring team and experienced sleep experts, welcomed as guest speakers throughout the course.
- Live interaction with the instructors on a weekly basis.
- Weekly email and one hour phone accessibility to instructors during our weekly online support group offered nine months each year.
- A multi-cultural international classroom.
- Continuous support during and after the course with monthly on-line calls.
- An invitation to apply for membership to Association of Professional Sleep Consultants (APSC).
Component One of our Certification Program is the Certification Course Curriculum and an Overview to Coaching:
- What is a coach?
- The difference between a coach and consultant
- What a coach is and is not
- Client/Coach Relationship
- The Coaching Contract
- The Six Stages of Readiness for Change and How to Work with each stage
- Client Assessment/Questionnaire
- Fundamental Coaching Skills
- Goal Setting/Motivators
- Working with Client’s Learning Style
- Overcoming Obstacles
- Time Management
- The role of a Maternity & Child Sleep Consultant and the opportunities available
- A basic review of all the sleep consultant methods and controversies in the maternity industry
- Basic maternity & child sleep issues and solutions
- The Business Basics Of Sleep: what is involved and what you need to get started
- The Science of Sleep: stages
- Sleep for mom during pregnancy
- Sleep for parents postpartum
- Sleep for baby
- Understanding the language of crying
- Emotional Well-Being
- Health Science
- Understanding the most popular and common approaches/methods
- Sleeping challenges and solutions for parents and babies
- Sleep environments
- Common sleep disruptors and challenges
- Dream feeding
- Cluster feeding
- Mother-Baby relationship
- Secure attachment theory
- Separation anxiety
- Sleep apnea
- White noise
- Overnight work
- Postpartum depression
- Greening sleep
- Sleep products
- Special needs
- Client intake form and initial consult
- Case studies
The Structure of Our Program
Our Maternity and Child Sleep Program is an online program combining self-paced modules and live classes.
There are two main components required to obtain certification:
Component One is a combination self-paced online and online weekly support live course introducing you to your role as a coach and all aspects of sleep in your sleep consulting work.
Component Two is a live online four month program (offered three times a year January, May and September) where participants have an opportunity to take all they have learned from Component One and apply it in case study work that is covered each week for 16 weeks. We will explore many specialized and standard cases utilizing the knowledge and skills gained in Component One.
There are online course modules that may be completed at your convenience, and live weekly support and discussion calls.
Participants have one year to complete our program.
Upon completion of Components One and Two, students receive a Certification to become Certified Maternity & Child Sleep Consultants and are considered graduates of the full IPHI Maternity & Child Sleep Consultant Program.
Students may obtain their full certification upon completion of Components One and Two.
Online Weekly Live Support Calls are available for 10 months each year and are available to you for support. Ask us any questions If you cannot attend live online weekly calls, you have the option of emailing us your questions. You will receive the class recording each week class is held. Additionally, our Facebook group is also available for support from our graduates and current students.
You can begin this course to become a certified Maternity & Child Sleep Consultant at any time by enrolling in Component One.
To enroll for Component One, click here
To enroll for Component Two: Once you have reached module 10 of component one, you may register for component two by clicking here.
Want to save $50?
Send us a check at
PO Box 996
Ojai, CA 93024
Get Started Now
Tamara is an IPHI Certified Sleep Consultant graduate who holds a degree in Psychology and an Early Childhood Education diploma. Tamara’s educational background in child development and psychology include courses such as: psychology of infancy, psychology of middle childhood, family dynamics as well child mental health. To further complement her background, Tamara has completed the Infant Mental Health course through Sick Children’s hospital which focuses on mental health from 0-6 years of age.
Tamara is an active member of the International Maternity and Parenting Institute Admissions Board and the Association of Professional Sleep Consultants. She has worked with young children, families, and adults in a variety of settings for many years. She has shared her passion for child education by teaching adult students wishing to enter the Early Childhood Education field. She is a both member, and mentor of the International Maternity and Parenting Institute (IMPI) where she continues to research both child and adult sleep.
Tamara is the founder of Quiet Moments Sleep and a mother herself. She does not utilize any sleep training methods in her work. Her successful approach is both holistic and organic in nature while focusing on the attachment relationship and emotional wellbeing of the entire family. Though residing in Canada, Tamara offers sleep services worldwide via phone, email and Skype.
StartWelcome message from our founder, Mar De Carlo (9:10)
PreviewMeet Your Instructor: Tamara Jurkin (1:19)
PreviewMaternity and Child Sleep Consultant Course (1:09)
StartCurriculum Course Outline
StartSleep Consulting Protocol Steps and Guidelines
StartPresentation Recording and Assignment Guidelines
StartIPHI’s Stance on Credit and Copyright
StartIPHI Certification Renewal Application
StartCourse Content Release
StartModule 1 - Intro to Maternity and Child Sleep Consulting (23:29)
StartModule 1-2 - Preparing to Learn (15:31)
StartModule 1-3 - Beliefs, Expectations and Cultural Influences (50:31)
StartModule 1-4 - History of Child Sleep Consulting & Scope (31:58)
StartSlides - Module 1-5 - Controversies (46:58)
StartSlides - Module 1-6 - Coaching & Consulting Clients (45:54)
StartSlides - Module 1-7 - Holistic Process of Client Assessment & Intake (67:15)
StartInitial Client Intake
StartModule 1 Assignment